▶주메뉴 바로가기

▶본문 바로가기

THE INVESTOR
September 17, 2019
Big Reunion

Mobile & Internet

Bluehole to release ‘PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ in China

  • PUBLISHED :November 23, 2017 - 14:51
  • UPDATED :November 23, 2017 - 14:51
  • 폰트작게
  • 폰트크게
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • sms
  • print

[THE INVESTOR] Bluehole Studio plans to release its record-breaking mega-hit shooting game “PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds” in China, in partnership with internet and game giant Tecent Holdings, the two companies said on Nov. 22.

Kim Chang-han, CEO of PUBG -- previously known as Gino Games -- which was acquired by Bluehole, said that the game maker has signed a partnership deal with Tencent. 


Related: 
Tencent acquires minor stake in Bluehole Studio

“We will do our best to present a great game for Chinese users in close cooperation with Tencent,” he said.

“We will localize and operate the game by catering to the preferences of Chinese gamers,” noted Tencent Senior Vice President Steven Ma.

The launch date has not been determined yet, but the two companies will work together to secure a stable network system and enhancing anti-cheat technologies, they said.

“PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds,” which debuted on March 24, is enjoying enormous popularity worldwide. It set a record of 2.5 million players going online at the same time on the entertainment platform Steam.

In September, Tencent acquired a minor stake in Bluehole, estimated to be less than 5 percent, for about 70 billion won (US$61 million). Tencent has also partnered with other Korean game makers. Currently, it is working on the localization process of another hit game “Lineage II: Revolution” by Netmarble Games and is waiting for a license to release it.

By Park Ga-young (gypark@heraldcorp.com)

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • sms
  • print

EDITOR'S PICKS