South Korea joined other countries to ban all Boeing 737 Max aircraft from its airspace due to safety concerns, the Transport Ministry said on March 15.
The ministry issued a Notice to Airmen to inform pilots and airline operators of its decision to ban the Boeing aircraft from its airspace for the next three months.
“The NOTAM notice will restrict any entry of Boeing 737 Max aircraft in Korean airspace until further notice from the aviation authorities,” a ministry official said over the phone.
President Donald Trump has said the US will ground B737 Max jets after Europe and other countries ordered a halt to operations due to safety worries.
The measures come as the same plane, operated by Ethiopian Airlines, plunged to the ground resulting in the deaths of all on board, with another flown by Indonesia‘s Lion Air involved in a crash in October 2018.
Earlier this week, Eastar Jet said it will halt flights of its two B737 Max 8s. Other local airlines that have signed contracts to add the B737 Max 8 to their fleets said they won’t operate the controversial plant until safety is assured.
By Ram Garikipati and newswires (firstname.lastname@example.org)