▶주메뉴 바로가기

▶본문 바로가기

THE INVESTOR
June 17, 2021

Two S. Korean students unaccounted for after New Zealand earthquake

  • PUBLISHED :February 23, 2011 - 13:37
  • UPDATED :February 23, 2011 - 13:37
  • 폰트작게
  • 폰트크게
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • sms
  • print

Two South Korean students are unaccounted for after their language-learning center building collapsed in an earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, the foreign ministry said Wednesday.

The students, a 25-year-old man and his 21-year-old sister, are feared to have been in the building when it collapsed after a 6.3-magnitude quake hit New Zealand's second-largest city on Tuesday, said Baik Joo-hyeon, a director general in charge of consular affairs.

The two had been staying at different homes under a home stay program. Officials contacted the home where the sister was staying, and the family said she had not been back since the disaster. The family whom the brother was staying with could not be reached because they evacuated their home, the official said.

In addition, five to six more Korean students could have been in the building at the time of its collapse, but details cannot be confirmed, Baik said. So far, about 100 people have been rescued from its rubble, he said.

Two South Korean consuls arrived in the devastated city to take care of the situation. South Korea also plans to dispatch 22 rescue workers as well as two government officials to the city, Baik said.

The rescue workers and the officials plan to depart later Wednesday.

South Korea's ambassador to New Zealand, Noh Kwang-il, who was in South Korea during the quake, changed his schedule and headed back to his post Wednesday, he said.

About 5,000 South Koreans are currently living in Christchurch.

News reports say a total of at least 75 people have been killed so far, and the death toll is expected to rise with hundreds still missing.

(Yonhap News)

<한글 기사> 

지진발생 뉴질랜드서 어학연수생 2명 실종

어학원 건물 붕괴..주뉴질랜드 대사 긴급 귀임

 강진이 발생한 뉴질랜드 남섬 크라이스트처치에 서 한국인 어학연수생 2명이 실종된 것으로 알려졌다.

23일 외교통상부에 따르면 지난 22일 크라이스트처치의 한 어학원 건물이 지진으로 붕괴됐으며, 이곳에서 수업을 받던 한국인 유모(25)씨와 유씨의 여동생(21)이 실종됐다는 신고가 우리 시간으로 이날 오전 8시께 주뉴질랜드 대사관에 접수됐다.

이들 남매는 지난 1월15일 어학연수를 위해 뉴질랜드에 입국했으며 각각 다른 가정에서 홈스테이를 해온 것으로 알려졌다. 

현재 건물 붕괴 현장에서는 100여명이 구조된 상태며, 어학원에서는 실종된 유씨 남매 외에도 한국인 어학연수생 5~6명이 수업을 받고 있었던 것으로 파악돼 추가 실종자가 있을 가능성도 제기되고 있다.   

외교부 관계자는 "나머지 한국 학생들의 소재도 아직까지 파악이 안 되고 있다" 면서 "현재 주뉴질랜드 대사관과 오클랜드 분관 영사 2명이 현지 경찰과 협조해 피해 상황을 확인중" 이라고 말했다.

이와 함께 외교부는 재외공관장회의 참석차 귀국한 노광일 주뉴질랜드 대사를 이날 중 현지로 복귀시키고, 재외국민보호과와 인도직원과 직원 각 1명으로 구성된 신속대응팀을 현지에 급파하기로 했다. 신속대응팀은 이날 오후 중앙119구조단 국제 구조대원 22명과 함께 호주행 비행기에 탑승해 24일 오후 크라이스트처치에 도착할 예정이다. 

한편 우리 정부는 22일 이명박 대통령 명의로 뉴질랜드 정부에 이번 지진에 대한 위로전을 발송하고, 긴급 인도적 지원 의사를 표명했다.

(연합뉴스)

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • sms
  • print

EDITOR'S PICKS