[THE INVESTOR] Tech giant Samsung Electronics is expected to announce the results of its investigation into the fire and explosion cases of the Galaxy Note 7 this month, according to sources on Jan. 2.
After having wrapped up an internal investigation, Samsung is said to have sent reports to outside laboratories including the Korea Testing Laboratory.
“The concerned departments of Samsung are preparing to announce the results this month, which have been shared with only a few key officials,” said a Samsung official.
Market watchers have speculated that a series of fire and explosion incidents involving the short-lived smartphone were caused by multiple reasons, not just faulty battery, which was initially pointed as the main cause. Some claimed that the Note 7’s hardware design failed to emit heat properly, and had too many components packed inside the phone’s slim body.
Samsung previously said that it would not be rushed to announce investigation results in order to completely clear the air, and leave nothing to doubt, especially as it prepares to release the Galaxy S8 in the first half this year.
In the past, new models have hit the market in March after an unveiling event at the Mobile World Congress trade show in February. This year, however, Samsung’s flagship smartphone is expected to be unveiled in March and will go on sale later, most likely in April.
By Kim Young-won (email@example.com)